SAT Accommodations for Type 1 Diabetics

and PSAT, NMSQT, PSAT 10, PSAT 8/9, AP

SAT Accommodations for Type 1 Diabetics

Simplified & Summarized

SAT accommodations for Type 1 Diabetics requires some advance planning.  The College Board is the administrator of all the following tests:  SAT, PSAT 8/9*, PSAT 10, NMSQT and AP exams. All of these these tests fall under the post-secondary category of school so they are administered outside of the K-12 school rules.

“These tests fall into a confusing area because often the tests will be taken within
a K-12  public school setting during the regular school day.”

The accommodations for the tests mentioned above need to be requested through the College Board. However, your school will assist you in requesting these accommodations. Since these are post-secondary tests administered by a post-secondary organization – your school is NOT required to initiate these accommodations on your behalf.

It is your responsibility to initiate the accommodations request with your school. 

*Please note: The PSAT 8/9 accommodations can be requested and approved directly with your school.

SAT simplifies accommodation process in 2017…if you have a 504 Plan.

Seeking accommodations under College Board just became easier.   Effective January 2017, they will accept the school's 504 Plan for testing accommodations since a school's 504 plan meets the same criteria the College Board uses to determine eligibility for accommodations.

You will still need to request accommodations through your school.
The process is just easier and faster with an existing 504 Plan in place. 

The College Board will now automatically accept accommodation requests of a student with an existing 504 Plan. Once your school submits your request for accommodations, this new rule speeds up the process of approval.

This is another reason to have an existing, detailed 504 Plan in place during the teen years.

What is the difference between K-12 vs. Post-secondary testing?

Post-secondary education is not covered by the Free Appropriate Public Education (FAPE) law that protects our Type 1 students in Kindergarten through 12th grade. Post-secondary education, such as college and pre-collegiate testing,  is still protected by the Americans with Disability Act and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 but FAPE does not apply to college level classes or testing.

It is not the school or testing organization's responsibility to automatically seek a student with a disability to provide accommodations at the post-secondary level.

Type 1 Diabetic students must self-advocate and seek accommodations on their own.
College Board requests that you do this through your school

You need to know this if your student plans to pursue post-secondary education. 

The Differences
K-12th & College

Save this T1ToGo tool as a PDF and the links will take you directly
to the College Board reference material. 

The following links will take you directly to the College Board resource page.  

Disability Documentation Guidelines

For College Board's guidelines, please visit this page. 

The College Board Calendar 2017

Know your deadlines to request accommodations.
Plan ahead to meet deadlines.  

Parental Consent Form

Submit this form to your school with
your request for accommodations.

Physical/Medical Disabilities Criteria

For more info on College Board's criteria, please visit this page. 

Submitting a Request

For more info on College Board's “Submitting a Request”, please visit this page. 

Extra Breaks & Extended Breaks

Read more about the most common accommodation used
by Type 1 Diabetic students.

A detailed 504 Plan is important. 
To learn more about 504 Plans, 
visit our 504 page. 

Copyright © 2017 Type 1 To Go Resolutions. All Rights Reserved.
Disclosure & Disclaimer Page

Share This